Legalization of Marijuana in the Workplace
On Nov. 30, 2016, the Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation presented its Final Report to the federal government. The Report sets out recommendations to the federal government “on the design of a new system to legalize, strictly regulate and restrict access to cannabis”. This brings the federal government one step closer to legalizing cannabis in Canada. The full report is available here.
Employers will need to have a better understanding of the impact that the legalization of marijuana will have on the work culture and safety in the workplace.
Please join us on May 30th for a special seminar on "Legalization of Marijuana and the Workplace”.
Joel Gervais, Addictions and Training Specialist at Vital Life, will cover:
- The impact of cannabis on performance
- How to identify someone under the influence
- Medical vs. recreational use
- Reducing the safety risks in the workplace
- Issues of accommodation
Jamie Jurczak, Partner at Taylor McCaffrey, will cover the legal implications including:
- Understanding workplace safety and health, human rights and accommodation obligations
- Privacy considerations
- Legal considerations regarding testing and employee searches, and
- Tips for developing effective drug use policies
We will also have a panel discussion where our panelists will answer your burning questions.